Everyone loves a pasta dish. Unfortunately, most of us associate pastas with a cheese – rich sauce. Though delicious in its own right, for diabetics the rich combination of pasta and cheese, can be disastrous for their blood sugar levels. But there is always hope. We bring to you a cheese free, light, healthy Mediterranean pasta recipe that will fill your tummy, entice your taste buds and make you the star of the party you serve it at.
For the dressing:
Olive oil 1/3 cup
Fresh squeezed lemon juice 2 tablespoons
Red wine vinegar 2 tablespoons
Water 2 tablespoons
Fresh coriander – finely chopped 2 tablespoons
garlic, minced 2 teaspoons
Dried oregano , minced 2 teaspoons
Dried Basil / Tulsi 1 teaspoon
Salt 1/2 teaspoon
Cracked pepper to taste
For the pasta:
Penne pasta 350 gms
lettuce leaves, washed and dried 4 cups
cucumber (large)- diced 1
avocado , peeled, pitted and chopped 1
Red capsicum (large, thinly sliced) ½
Grape or cherry tomatoes, halved 250 gms
Red onion , thinly sliced ½
olives , sliced ½ cup
Feta / Paneer 5 – 6 tablespoons
- Boil the pasta in a large pot of salted water until al dente.
- Drain in a colander or strainer, then rinse under cold water to take the heat out.
- Transfer the pasta to a large mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice, red wine vinegar, water, fresh coriander, garlic, dried oregano, dried basil / tulsi, salt and cracked pepper.
- In a large bowl, add the pasta, lettuce leaves, cucumber, avocado, red capsicum, grapes or cherry tomatoes, red onions, olives and feta / paneer.
- Drizzle with the dressing.
- Toss all of the ingredients together until everything is coated evenly in dressing.
- Season with extra salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve immediately.